11 Ways to Make Splitting Up Easier for You and Your Partner
Sadly, not all couples manage to adhere to the “And they lived happily ever after!” scenario. Quite often, we break up — for one reason or another.
If you and your partner are heading toward this unfortunate stage in the relationship, we at Bright Side want to help you make the process as stress-free as possible.
1. Don’t be silent about your decision for too long.
2. If you’ve no intention of getting back together, try to avoid contact with your ex.
3. Break the news to your partner in person.
4. Don’t blame your partner for the failed relationship.
5. Speak directly about your feelings.
6. Don’t blackmail your partner, and don’t give in to blackmail.
7. If you’ve decided to leave for good, don’t talk about a temporary separation.
8. Show your gratitude.
9. Think the conversation through in advance. Try to anticipate your partner’s reactions.
10. Right after the breakup, try not to showcase your private life.
11. If you decided to break up, then break up for good. Giving a once-broken relationship a second chance leads to nothing but frustration.
Illustrated by Anna Syrovatkina for BrightSide.me